Farmer’s Alliance Building – Paso Robles, California
Once a part of the California Almond Growers Exchange and Farmers Alliance Cooperative, the Farmer’s Alliance Building, located at 525 Riverside Avenue, bestows priceless historical value.
Request a Call Back
Between 1870 and 1910 Californian agriculture transitioned from grain production to specialty crops. As the commercial orchard industry grew, the almond emerged as one of the most successful products for Paso Robles. By 1910 the almond economy had expanded to the point that the farmers began the formation of the Paso Robles Almond Growers Association (PRAGA). By 1918 the district held the leading location in the world for the number of acres planted and Paso Robles was the self-proclaimed “Almond Capital of the World”.
On November 23, 1921 the deed was recorded for the purchase of the property located at525 Riverside Avenueby PRAGA and by May of the following year construction on the building that would be referred to as “the symbol of the success of the almond industry in this area”. The architect on the project was D. R. Bailey, a recognized master builder of almond industry warehouses. The building was constructed of massive reinforced concrete, 75 x 150 feet, with an 82 foot elevator tower in the center. The tower was adorned by blue Diamonds on all four sides and two great flood lights to “illuminate the whole face of the building every night” to “draw the admiration of the travelers along both theState Highwayand the railroad”. Operation began in September 1922. The productivity of almonds began to decrease in the 1930s, and the building was officially up for sale in July 1936. On July 11, 1936, K.B. Nelson, a representative of the Farmers Alliance Business Association purchased the building for $16,000.00.
Blossoming in the 1880s, the Farmer’sAllianceorganization was an economic movement amongUnited Statesfarmers designed to promote higher commodity prices through collective efforts. Following a record harvest of wheat crops, on August 11, 1891 theSan Luis ObispoCountyandMontereycounties Farmer’s Alliances met in Paso Robles and voted to unite and enter into the grain warehousing business. They founded the Farmer’s Alliance Business Association (FABA) and were formally incorporated on June 2, 1891. In 1975, after 84 years of service to the community, the FABA closed their doors.
Paso Robles, Californiais situated in the heart of Central Coast Wine Country mid-way between Los Angelesand San Francisco. Located at 525 Riverside Avenuebetween the abandoned 5th and 6th Streets, the Farmer’sAllianceBuilding is easily accessible and highly visible from both directions of US Highway 101. Perfectly placed a short distance from downtown Paso Robles, approximately 70,000 people live within a ten-mile radius of the site.
Acreage & Zoning
The property is comprised of 1.17± acres zoned Manufacturing Planned Development.
APN: 009-268-003, 004
Telephone, Water, Sewer, Electricity, Cable TV, and Gas are available to the property.
The enclosed information has been obtained from sources that we deem reliable; however, it is not guaranteed by Clark Company and is presented subject to corrections, errors, prior sale, changes or withdrawal from the market without notice.